Car Donation Tips
While a lot of people know the protocol for buying and selling cars, you may not know how to donate a car to charity. Compared with selling your car, donating your car is easy, efficient, and gives you an opportunity to give back to individuals who truly need a helping hand.
Once you have made the decision to donate your car to charity, there are a few car donation tips that may help you with the process.
- When picking a charity that accepts car donations, find out how much of their proceeds go to the charity’s actual programs. Donating with Allstate Car Donation ensures that 100% of your donation’s proceeds go to the Center for Living and Learning, a 501c3 dedicated to providing people with the tools and training to get them into the workforce.
- Save time by arranging your charity car donation online or via fax. You’ll be amazed at how quickly the paperwork can be completed. You can start the donation process at Allstate Car Donation completely online. Just fill out our simple form.
- Don’t worry about having any paperwork for your car although we do prefer that you have the title.
- The towing company will contact you to arrange a pick-up time and location that is your convenience. Don’t take the safety risks of selling your car to an anonymous person when you can have your car towed by our trustworthy car donation service.
- There is no need to do anything before your car is picked up – whether it is running or not. Unlike with selling, you don’t need to worry about repairs, inspections or vehicle taxes.
- Keep the written acknowledgement you receive from us after your car is auctioned. It will be helpful to you when you do your taxes.
- Take your tax deduction for the price that the car was auctioned instead of the Kelley Blue Book value or the rate that you might see similar vehicles sold online for. This is the amount the IRS recognizes as your charitable deduction.
- If your vehicle is sold for more than $500, attach the IRS form 8283 to indicate your charitable deduction.
- Above all else, rest assured that if you are donating your vehicle with our organization you are giving to a company whose proceeds go to the Center for Living and Learning, which is continually helping many disadvantaged people find and keep stable employment.
We hope these vehicle donation tips were helpful in reassuring you that you are making the right decision with donating your vehicle through our organization. Please don’t hesitate to call or email us with any questions or concerns or visit our Vehicle Donation FAQ page. Our skilled and knowledgeable staff is here to help you throughout the entire process.